- 5 peaches (about 1½ lb.)
- 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground mace
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°. Peel skins from 2 peaches. Halve and remove pits from all the peaches. Slice ¼” thick. Transfer to a large bowl; add brown sugar, cinnamon, mace, and ¼ cup granulated sugar and toss to combine. Let sit while you prepare the topping (at least 20 minutes).
- Cook butter in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it foams, then browns, 5–7 minutes. Pour brown butter into a 13×9″ baking dish. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1¾ cups sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in milk and vanilla, then pour batter into baking dish by the ladleful so butter swirls and mixes into batter. Top with peaches.
- Bake cobbler until golden brown and bubbling around the edges, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly before serving.