- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp (about 36), peeled, de-veined
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 8′-long French rolls, split horizontally
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes, dill pickles, hot pepper sauce (optional), preferably Crystal t.
- Rémoulade (ingredients below)
- 1/4 celery root (celeriac), peeled, coarsely grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in a small bowl to blend.
- Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of a heavy wide pot. Add enough oil to measure 2″. Heat over medium heat to 350°.
- Meanwhile, place shrimp and 2 Tbsp. spice mix in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Pour buttermilk into another medium bowl. Whisk flour and cornmeal in another medium bowl.
- Dip seasoned shrimp briefly in buttermilk, then coat with flour mixture. Working in batches, fry shrimp, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Prepare the rémoulade by combining celery root, scallions, garlic, lemon juice, horseradish, mustard, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, celery seeds, and paprika in a food processor and pulse until a coarse purée forms. Fold in mayonnaise and parsley.
- Open rolls and spread cut sides with rémoulade. Top with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and shrimp. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.